Waste & Recycling

The NYCC mobile Household Waste Recycling Centre makes frequent visits to the Show Ground in Pateley Bridge. Please check the dates and times listed on the county council website https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/mobile-household-waste-recycling-centres. You can take furniture (including beds, mattresses, sofas and chairs), bric-a-brac, paper, cardboard, books, glass, food and drink cans, foil, scrap metal, textiles and clothes, fluorescent tubes, TVs and monitors, fridges and freezers, large and small appliances, and garden waste. You can’t take tyres, rubble, plasterboard or asbestos, which should be taken to the permanent recycling centres at Ripon or Harrogate. Commercial and Charity waste is not accepted and should also be taken to the permanent sites.

The recycling bins in Southlands are provided by HBC and are also for domestic use but please don’t deposit other household rubbish around them – this is flytipping, a criminal offence which also creates extra costs to taxpayers to have it removed. Again, these bins are not for the use of businesses who must use a commercial contractor or visit the Harrogate or Ripon permanent sites.
If you employ an individual or business to remove waste you have a legal responsibility to check they have a waste carrier’s licence. You should never trust anyone who offers to take away rubbish, especially for a few pounds and in cash. If you are a householder you should ask for a documented receipt and if you a business you must ask the carrier for a waste transfer note detailing what waste was taken from you, and to whom it was given. This paperwork has to be kept for two years.